Thursday, September 1, 2022

Shopping

 

I went to buy a battery for my(very old - it may be the first version) -  Apple TV remote, which I thought was a straightforward task.

I ended up going to four places before I found one and that involved walking down to the Eaton Centre.  Schools have started up, the downtown is full of students on top of all the people who are normally out. (This includes the high schoolers from the nearby high school and they are overall an obnoxious bunch, rude and loud and totally self-involved, and oh so very brave when in groups.  Such a contrast to the university students and who are at least beginning to behave like adults.)

It amazes me that I live in downtown Toronto and it can be so hard to find something as simple as a battery.  I find myself doing more online shopping - not necessarily for delivery but to order online and then pickup.

This is another way in which I am withdrawing from the world.  I gave up going to theatre, ballet, opera. concerts a long time ago but it has been years (even before the pandemic) since I even went to a movie.

This is not just age I think.  I have always thrived on time alone and as a retired person it has become easier and easier to just stay home.  And in the internet age not as isolating as it would have been before.

I go out for walks mainly because my cardiologist, and my family doctor, have urged me to keep moving.  I try to find routes where I don't meet too many people, but also where there are some people and some traffic - I don't feel safe walking in basically deserted areas on my own.  I never wander down into the ravine system anymore.

No comments: