Thursday, September 8, 2022

Changing Demographics

 

The condo building I live in is almost entirely one bedroom plus solarium units, around 600 square feet.

When I moved here fifteen years ago the occupants were almost all retired people or young people (the majority of them gay it seemed) living on their own.

The last year or two there has been a large influx of young couples with young children.

I think this is because of real estate prices in this city.  This building is one of the more moderately priced places downtown and couples who would in the past never have considered trying to live in such a small space now find it all they can manage.

For crabby old me this has meant much more noise and activities around the building.  Movie nights, barbecues, yard sales, kids playing in the yard.  

It's been bad enough living here with all the dogs.

So I think it may be time to be looking at a move to an independent living retirement community.

Some people will claim that being around young people/families helps keep you young.  I'm not interested.  I want to live around my own (old) kind.



No comments: