Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Avoiding The New

 

I have noticed for a while that I have been avoiding or not finishing new content on my Netflix, BritBox etc.  I find myself watching and enjoying older programs that I have seen in the past - sometimes I remember them well, sometimes vaguely, sometimes not at all.  I imagine this is just another facet of growing old, and I'm not alone.  On my social media feeds content comes up from other aging people and it seems this is not an uncommon phenomenon.   

Someone commented today that. watching the Emmys, they didn't recognize any of the new, young actors and programs and that they had no intention of trying to correct that.

I wonder if this is just not wanting to deal with the "new" in old(er) age or if it is just not liking the content that is being produced.

I'm able to access Kanopy (thank you Toronto Public Library!) and it has a wonderful collection of classic films.  Many are "foreign" films that I didn't see when they were new (and I was young) and I'm enjoying seeing them now.  I don't necessarily understand them the first time through but the internet (something new that I do love) lets me track down reviews and opinions without having to leave home.

And there's Tubi.  They have so much content.  Lately I've been watching films with Marlene Dietrich, Bette Davis, Barbara Stanwyck, Norma Shearer.  Science fiction - good and bad.  Barbara Steele in those wonderful gothic tales she led. There's so much to choose from, from the entirety of film history.  I'm happy to watch ads in exchange for all they're providing.  

I'm finding a bit of the same thing with books - not as pronounced - but there are some new books that get really good reviews that I don't relate to at all. But there are still new books with rave reviews that fully deserve them.  

Nothing of course can be done about the fact that I am old and feel the limit of time I may have left.  So much to read. So much to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.
Please note that I do not check regularly.