I'll start right off by saying that this to me is a perfect movie. I have thought that since the first time I saw it in the theatre.
The score by Ennio Morricone is exactly right for the film. I just have to think about it and I can hear it in my head.
The story, the cast, the cinematography, the costumes - it all just works. It's gentle and tender and nostalgic but never maudlin.
There are two versions available on disc - 124 minutes and 174 minutes. I was looking forward to seeing the longer version when it became available but now I'm rather sorry I ever saw it.
In the 124 minute version there is much that is never resolved and that to me is part of what makes the film so wonderful - it feels so real because there are things in everyone's life that are never fully explained or understood. That is why the scenes when Salvatore returns to his hometown are so deeply toughing.
In the 174 minute version all is explained and resolved and made concrete and I do my best to block all that out when I watch or even think about the film.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Feel free to comment.
Please note that I do not check regularly.