Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Movie: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever (1970)

 

I liked this movie a lot when it came out.  I haven't seen it for years until tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it again.

It's flawed, there are slow spots and some stilted camera work, but there are also some visually wonderful scenes. 

I liked Yves Montand better seeing him after all these years but unfortunately there was little chemistry between him and Barbra Streisand.  

Ms Streisand was at her comedic best in this film.  Particularly in the flashbacks to 19th century England. We don't get to see enough of this waggy natural humour in her later films.  

I read that this was heavily edited down from an original three hour running time and I wonder how many awkward moments were the result of this.  

Still,  I loved seeing it and will watch it again in the future.


No comments: