Friday, February 23, 2024

Boundaries

 

My drop foot is slowly improving but I'm still walking with a limp, which is very tiring and I find it has limited how far I can walk.  I find there are places and stores that are usually part of my daily walks that I just can't/don't get to.  

I am aware that my world has shrunken down over the last years and the physical area of the city I am normally active in has become limited. This is something that I think is generally true for people as they move into old age.  Your world in many ways, not just physically, becomes smaller.  Some of that, yes, is physical, but it's also psychological.  I feel less and less like part of the current world.  I find myself unable to really relate to a lot of TV and movies.  

I also have a sense of "my world" dying out.  Friends die, people that I grew up watching on tv and in movies die, authors that I admired die.  That feels like the world I lived in disappearing and leaves me with a sense of being in line to go.  And of not being a part of the world anymore but living apart from it, almost as an observer.

So I am hoping that the drop foot clears and that I can, at least for a while longer, get my physical walking area back to its familiar boundaries .




No comments: