Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Lessons on Getting Old




I haven't been wearing shorts much this summer because I'm conscious of signs of aging on my legs.  Veins, bald patches, sagging flesh around the knees.  Normal aging.  So I've been hesitant to show them.  (Also, I try to avoid the sun for health reasons.)  But it means I'm often warmer than I need to be.


But I've been noticing other old people and they're going ahead and wearing shorts and t-shirts that show the sagging flesh underneath and I've come to to realize that it doesn't matter.   That's what aging involves.  That's how it looks, and why shouldn't we old people wear what feels comfortable.


I've been a young person and know how critical the young can be of the old.  And I understand it might be uncomfortable for them to look upon old bodies because some part of them knows that that's where they are headed no matter how much they avoid facing it.  


It happens to us all if we're lucky enough to live into old age.






No comments: